If you invested in a bright, beautiful smile with teeth whitening, your results can last for several months or years. However, many factors will affect the duration, like the foods you eat. Believe it or not, some foods can combat discoloration. Here are 5 foods to add to your plate to maintain your radiant smile.
5 Stain-Fighting Foods
Your diet influences your dental health in many ways. Besides promoting strong teeth and healthy gums, food can also affect the appearance of your smile. Here are the top foods known to reduce discoloration:
- Cauliflower: Cauliflower requires a lot of chewing, which increases saliva production to cleanse your mouth.
- Strawberries: Despite their dark color, strawberries can fight tooth stains because they contain malic acid, which is a natural whitening solution.
- Cheese: Dairy products strengthen your enamel to make them more resistant to decay. Cheese also causes saliva production to wash away food particles.
- Apples: Crispy fruits act as natural scrub brushes for your smile to remove food to keep your teeth white.
- Celery: Crispy vegetables are equally beneficial to keep your smile bright.
There are many foods you should avoid to prevent new discoloration. As a rule of thumb, limit anything that can stain a white T-shirt, like berries, coffee, or tomato sauce.
Maintaining a Beautiful Smile
Your diet alone isn’t enough to maintain your results. You can get the most from your investment by:
- Commit to Brushing and Flossing: Brush your teeth after every meal to remove food particles and stain-causing residue. Floss your teeth at least once a day to prevent plaque buildup and keep your gums healthy.
- Watch What You Eat: Limit how often you have dark foods and drinks. If you can’t resist a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, drink it through a straw and all at once to reduce its contact with your teeth. If you have anything that can stain your smile, rinse your mouth with water after you’ve finished.
- Don’t Smoke: Don’t smoke or use tobacco to prevent tar and nicotine stains.
- Drink More Water: Water will help cleanse your mouth of bacteria and food residue in between brushing and flossing.
- Visit Your Dentist: Visit your dentist every 6 months for a cleaning and checkup to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
Your dentist can also provide you with a touch-up kit to ensure your dazzling smile continues to shine.
About Dr. Rodney L. Allen
Dr. Allen has over 20 years of experience in dentistry. He achieved his dental degree from Baylor College of Dentistry and has regularly continued his education in many specialties, like cosmetic dentistry. If you’re ready to reveal a brighter smile, choose an award-winning dentist. Request an appointment through our website or call (720) 744-3698.